Friday, August 3, 2018

Does Anyone Know Anything?

Last September 28th I had a heart attack requiring the implantation of two metal stents into a blocked artery. To prevent a clot from forming around the stents I began taking the drug clopidogrel, which is marketed as Plavix. This is a blood thinner, and the side effects are nothing to sneeze at. In fact, sneezing on Plavix would probably be a bad idea, God knows.

What happens is this: You bleed internally because your blood no longer clots normally. So you've got to be very careful not to hurt yourself or you could end up in big trouble, like bleeding internally to death, or close to it. Also, the slightest impact on your body causes a severe bruise. In my case, I have been developing bruises simply by being alive, like sitting quietly and reading a book. I'll look down and see a new bump which then swells up and starts turning all sorts of colors. (My husband says they are free tattoos. Ha.)

Deciding to stop taking this drug, I went online to see what I could expect. Turns out all the following is supposedly true, according to various physicians and experts in the field of pharmacology:
1. If you stop taking Plavix you may have another heart attack or a stroke soon after.
2. Don't start taking Plavix as it has serious side effects.
3. If you stop taking Plavix, you must be weaned off the drug slowly.
4. It's okay to stop Plavix cold turkey.
5. Stay on Plavix for life following stent implants.
6. Take Plavix for a year following stent implants.
7. Get off the drug as soon as you possibly can. 

I may have to up my daily dosage of Chianti just to cope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...