Friday, August 24, 2018

Children, Behave

Lately I've been trying to understand why most people are so mean-spirited, and the only thing I've come up with is that everyone is incredibly angry because they know they're going to die someday and they don't like it one bit. A perfect example of this was displayed on TV last night for anyone to see who tuned in to CNN, which still calls itself "the most trusted name in news." (Hah!)

Hoping for some sort of update on the growing national frenzy of pummeling Donald Trump into oblivion for the sin of besting Queen Hillary in the last election, my husband and I watched in horror as newsman Chris Cuomo, the weakest link in the Cuomo political family and host of his own talk show, shouted non-stop like a petulant schoolboy at his invited guest, Trump mouthpiece Kellyanne Conway, who met him and raised him. Had they been spitting instead of talking they'd have made as much sense, and been a lot more fun to watch. Sadly, theirs was supposedly intellectual discourse between two educated people who hold powerful positions in our society, so it's no wonder the lower down the scale you go, the worse the vitriol gets.

People give me a hard time for using the word fat to describe fat people, as if by saying something less accurate they will magically be thinner. For that transgression I am called "mean." Personally, I'd rather have someone tell me nicely that I'm getting fat, than say nothing to spare my feelings and instead watch me get fat. Still, I wouldn't want them to shout out "Fatty!" There's a difference.

So choose and use your words carefully, and be nice. No matter how much you mistreat someone else, you will still die someday.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...