Sunday, August 5, 2018

A Walk in the Woods

Today, honoring marital vows taken 31 years ago to love, honor and do whatever my spouse wants so he doesn't have to go it alone (including watching football, eating dinner every night and sitting through boring theater), I went on a hike with my husband. For some reason he enjoys hiking, as do millions of other people, so much so that the activity has sparked an entire industry of clothing, footwear and related paraphernalia such as walking sticks, backpacks, granola bars and bug spray, whereas I think of it as just going for a walk only less fun because it happens on difficult terrain and lasts much longer than you want it to or thought it would.

Still, understanding the human desire for companionship when venturing into an isolated area, I went with Mitch to the Harpswell Cliff Trail, which the Appalachian Mountain Club's Best Day Hikes Along the Maine Coast describes as "moderate." (All I have to say about that is, "Ha!") I'll spare you the gory details since please don't make me relive it, but below are a few photos I snapped on our afternoon stroll through the tick-and-mosquito-infested Maine woods that Mitch called a "friendly forest." I saw it as less so, and as the saying goes, the camera never lies.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...