Friday, September 14, 2012

Cookies or Pie?

I was fine when I woke up about an hour ago, but since then I have looked at the news on the Internet and made the awful mistake of perusing today's paper. Things are bad all over, and now I am paranoid as hell. Right now I am sitting in my dining room and I'd like more coffee, but Homeland Security has issued new warnings about possible terrorist attacks and I am leery of going into my kitchen. Is it safe in there?

Things are so shaky that New York City is already buttoning up their New Year's Eve security in case of a terrorist attack: They are planning to weld shut all manhole covers in Times Square. (Yeah, that should do it.) The world is a mess, that's for sure. Thank god I have no power whatsoever and nobody wants my opinion on anything. I may bake. In fact, following is a recipe for an incredible cake my dear neighbor back in Salt Lake City, Sophia Alcott, baked every fall. It's really good!

SOPHIE'S RAW APPLE CAKE
2 Cups chopped apples
1 Cup sugar
1 and 1/2 Cups flour
1/2 Cup margarine
1 Egg
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon salt

Topping: Brown sugar, chopped walnuts and cinnamon. 

Grease and flour a 9" pan. Mix all ingredients, sprinkle generously with Topping and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...