Monday, January 31, 2022

Famous Nobodies

Does it ever seem to you that every other person is a "celebrity" you never heard of? Just logging on to the Internet to check my mail or post this blog, I often come across stories about someone unknown to me. Is it because I'm out of the loop, living up in Maine and not reading People magazine, or is it just that it takes almost nothing to become "famous" these days?

For example, this morning I read about a supposedly well-known "influencer" who jumped to her death. "The world mourns" this 30-year-old woman who was a former Miss USA. Really? Certainly it is sad that a young, beautiful woman committed suicide, but is the world really mourning her passing? (And BTW, I guess being famous doesn't make you happy.)

Another nobody posted pictures on Instagram showing off her recent weight loss. People commented offering their congratulations. I wanted to write, "Who are you and why would anyone care that you lost weight?" But I didn't -- mostly because I can't even lose five pounds as hard as I try, so I guess the woman is worthy of kudos. Still, I never heard of her, even when she was fat.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where is Your Focus?

By now, most functioning adults should have realized two things: Joe Biden is a demented fool who is not really making any decisions for our...