Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Beware of 5G


It's snowing here in Maine today and ice covers everything, keeping me inside. Amazingly, it feels like just a few days  ago it was hot as hell with mosquitoes everywhere, keeping me inside. Things are going faster and faster, too fast if you ask me, and yet not fast enough for some people.

Today's Wall Street Journal has a special section all about 5G and how it will speed everything up. And despite reading as much of it as as I could stand, I remain virtually clueless about what the heck it is and why we need it, except that China has it and we want to beat them at their game. All I know is that it's really, really fast.

Shorthand for "the fifth generation" of cellular network technology, the application of 5G will make every device work faster and enable geeky tech types to discover cool things, like new beer flavors. And hackers will be able to hack your accounts more quickly. Really, I learned that.

I already hate 5G and want nothing to do with it. Heck, I don't even drink beer.

1 comment:

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...