Thursday, November 21, 2019

A Difference of Opinion

At lunch with a friend at a local bistro, after sharing an appetizer we saw a bug crawling out from under the lettuce. I found this disturbing and while I did not completely freak out, I was audibly disgusted, alarmed and altogether turned off. I reported it to our server lest there be lots of other bugs hanging out in the lettuce in the kitchen.

My friend thought little of it and was all the way to amused by my reaction. For some reason I still don't understand, she chided with me the nonsensical statement, "It's not a big deal, and besides, your husband is a gardener! His lettuce must be crawling with bugs." Like we regularly eat bugs at home or something. Anyway, I got over it, although I did inspect my salad entree quite closely with each bite.

When it was time to pay the bill the server asked, "Separate checks?" Since we had ordered similar items I said we'd split the check, having forgotten that I had coffee for $3.00 and my companion had not. Now it was her turn to be disgusted, alarmed and altogether turned off, balking at paying for more than what she had consumed. I said she was being cheap. She denied the charge and in fact got mad that I had "called her a name." I had to apologize.

Apparently eating bugs is "no big deal" but refusing to buy a friend half a cup of coffee is not being cheap. 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I like good bugs in my garden but NOT in my food and I wouldn't have cared about paying for your coffee, I would have probably paid the whole bill since I do that often. I hope she's a long time friend or forget about it lol.

    ReplyDelete

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...