Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Polly's House


For the past nine years a woman named Polly lived directly across the street from our house. It seemed like I saw her constantly, certainly every day, since she walked her dog Bailey up and down our street in all kinds of weather. I always gave Bailey treats, so of course he was happy to see me.
 
I often ran into Polly at the post office. Sometimes she and I would walk there together, with Bailey. She came to dinner at our house a few times and attended our neighborhood holiday parties. For a couple of years she and I tried being friends and would go out to dinner together when my husband was away.



Two years ago Polly asked me to come over and help her choose new paint colors for all the rooms in her house. I did, and then went back to see how it all looked. A few times I walked Bailey in the afternoon when Polly had to be gone all day.

I took countless photos and did several paintings of Polly's house since it is so pretty and I can see it perfectly from my second-floor art studio. Last summer Polly put her house on the market and eventually took me over to see the new condo she had bought in the next town. The place was still empty and I gave her some ideas on decorating.

She moved out right before Christmas and now lives six miles away. I have not heard a peep from her since then. It's not like we were close or anything. Still, it's kind of sad.

Polly's house is still empty since the new people have not yet moved in. They are named Bruce and Brenda and when they live there I will know them and run into them and exchange pleasantries with them, until they move or we move. But I will always call it Polly's house.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...