Friday, February 2, 2018

What Is Art?

Looking for something online, I stumbled across an old art review of a show in my now defunct gallery by some self-important would-be critic who never liked me. Personally I never liked him either, so it's not surprising he gave my work a negative review. What he said was that my paintings "couldn't decide whether they are just decoration or real art."

I have two responses to this pap. First, artwork does not have a brain and thus cannot "decide" anything. It is inanimate. Second, what is art if not decoration? You can't eat it. It doesn't shelter you from the elements. You can't sleep in it, wear it or actually do any damn thing with it besides look at it. Following are some examples of "real art" that look suspiciously like decoration to me.

 Henri Matisse

 Marsden Hartley
Andrea Rouda

Vincent Van Gogh


No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...