Tuesday, February 6, 2018

How I'm Like Gandhi

Don't laugh, but I recently figured out that I'm a little bit like Mahatma Gandhi. First of all, we both wear glasses. Well, he's dead now so he's not wearing his anymore, but he did. Second, he was not big on food, and I am totally sick of eating.

To clarify further, I mean I'm sick of eating healthy. I'd love to dive into a big bowl of fettuccine with cream sauce and a side of garlic bread, or something else equally luscious that has absolutely nothing to recommend it. But I don't, and I won't, because I fear getting getting sick or fat, or both, and that's the truth. Still, it's enough with the salad and broccoli and cauliflower and whole grains and grilled fish. In fact, blech!

I'm pretty sure that's what was going through Gandhi's mind right before he started each one of his fasts. He went on 17 of them during the era of India's freedom movement, always claiming they were "hunger strikes" meant to underscore a variety of social issues, like improving the life of the poor or stopping communal riots. But probably he was just sick of the food. He was, after all, a vegetarian.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...