Friday, September 20, 2024

Job Hunting In 2024

Just for fun, since they didn't hire me 15 years ago when I was a lot younger and thus more attractive and not as cynical, I applied to be a sales clerk at the store that is the reason people come to Freeport, Maine. You know, the place that sells duck boots. (see photo)

The online application asked some questions I bristled at, like, "What is your sexual orientation?" How could that matter to anyone shopping for clothing or home goods or guns or anything but sex toys, which this place definitely does not stock? But the oddest was a question about gender identification, with one of the options being "Two Spirit." Did being a Gemini count, I wondered. I left that one blank.

It reminded of the time I was at Macy's and the sales clerk -- white haired, pudgy, about 80 years old -- sported a name tag that said: "My name is Carol, my pronouns are She/Her." I asked her if all employees  had to wear one of those and she said yes. Again, I was buying underwear; did it matter to me what this lady did in the privacy of her own bedroom, or even at an S&M club like the now-defunct New York City dungeon, Pandora's Box? For all I knew she was another Mistress Raven on her days off, but did I care? (Just take my money and give me my undies -- like Bill Clinton, your sex life is your business.)

So I am perplexed why this retail organization where I applied to work as a sales clerk wants to know my sexual orientation. Do they have wild parties after hours? Are they secretly sex traffickers with ties to Sean Combs? Is Harvey Weinstein on the Board of Directors? Really, none of it matters since I came out as Jewish on my application. That ought to eliminate me from consideration even before they find out I'm straight and white. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Job Hunting In 2024

Just for fun, since they didn't hire me 15 years ago when I was a lot younger and thus more attractive and not as cynical, I applied to ...