Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Haitians Eating Cats

A bizarre news story has been popping up here and there online over the last few days, in part because of Republican VP candidate J.D. Vance mentioning it in a speech, about Haitian immigrants eating people's pets in Springfield, Ohio, a small town that has grown by 15,000 immigrants in the last two years. Then Donald Trump mentioned it in his debate last night with Kamala Harris.

I haven't read any of the stories because they are usually written so badly and are so biased, but I know one thing and one thing for sure: Haitians definitely do eat cats. I witnessed this alarming menu choice in person when I visited Haiti in 2013. 

I did not eat any cats but saw plenty of them laid out on hibachis and over fire pits in many Haitian backyards. However, I have no idea if the cats that were being eaten were domesticated.

Personally, to be on the safe side I stuck with rice and beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Sense With Kamala

Young Kamala, already saving money! Walking around my neighborhood this afternoon and noticing the proliferation of Harris lawn signs, I was...