Monday, January 8, 2024

Reality Sucks


Some days it's hard to keep going. Those are days when the wall I have built between my brain and reality thins out or even retracts completely, allowing the awful truth of the world to seep inside. Today is one of those days. 

For some reason I opted to read The Times of Israel website. Big mistake. There's a long story called "Those We Have Lost." That headline should have tipped me off and sent me scurrying back to the inanity of who wore what to the Golden Globes awards last night, but instead I soldiered on and read details about some of the people killed by Hamas last October 7, just because of their religion, or ethnicity, or whatever the heck being a Jew is. Mostly young people on the cusp of adulthood (see photo) who had gone to a music festival to have a good time, each one left behind a family to tell the world who they had been. 

My resulting feelings of grief and loss sitting in my kitchen in Maine, powerless to do anything about the situation, are pointless. My husband's advice is "don't read that stuff." As is often the case, he's right. Horrors taking place many thousands of miles from me that are far out of my control help me understand why so many people are into trivia about Taylor Swift and her football boyfriend. 

There's no punchline.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fat Is Never Good

                        For reasons that remain unclear, a growing acceptance of fat people has taken root in our society. Online, more and...