Saturday, September 30, 2023

Nothing Really Matters To Me

As usual, Shakespeare said it best: Life is "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Despite that, your average Joe, and by that I mean to include your average Jane as well, gets all hot and bothered over the slightest thing. This common occurrence can be seen constantly online in the comments section of every news article. 

I am sometimes guilty of this when it comes to grammar and spelling, if little else. It irks me when ordinary words are misspelled in print and I am quick to point it out, motivated by the desire to educate rather than chide the writer.

Most recently I corrected the spelling of the word "border," as in our southern border, that had been written as "boarder" repeatedly and by several different commenters, enough times for me to realize it wasn't a typo but that's how many people think it's spelled. So I, a former newspaper writer, chose to write: "It is spelled BORDER."

OMG. You'd think I had said that Hitler had the right idea. The wrath! The outrage! Clearly I was a scoundrel and most likely a Trumpie. So I will stop doing that. 

The bottom line is that I don't care if people I don't even know want to remain ignorant.  Go ahead, be a dummy. In the grand scheme of things, nothing matters anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fat Is Never Good

                        For reasons that remain unclear, a growing acceptance of fat people has taken root in our society. Online, more and...