Monday, May 23, 2022

COVID Lessons

Happily, COVID has left our home. It spent nine days with us and was a crummy guest causing us great inconvenience, especially my husband who actually had it living in his body. Hopefully it will not return, although by all reports it might since I have never had it and thus remain a target despite all vaccines and boosters. 

During our COVID week we both took many nasal swab tests. In fact, Mitch and I are now experts at doing so. We also have lots of tests left over for future visits, or if we miss the daily swabbing.

Naturally we could not sleep in the same bed, so I moved into the guest room and discovered how very uncomfortable the bed in there is. I now have remorse for all the guests we have forced to sleep in it over the years and will be buying a new guest bed immediately. So I guess you could say that COVID did one good thing!

A few of the bad things were we could not see our son, or go out anywhere since we had to quarantine. We also had to cancel plans with an old friend who was visiting Maine and was going to stop by for brunch.  And of course no hugging my husband, or anything along those lines. This forced us to watch a lot of TV, and as you know that's never good. There's the war in Ukraine or all the bald-faced liars on the news stations, inane sitcoms or police dramas, and commercials for medicine and insurance. 

Last night we watched an episode of SVU in which a woman was abducted from a bakery by a serial murderer and tortured and ultimately killed, although we turned it off long before her untimely end. Still, I couldn't sleep, what with the bad bed and the scene where the abducted woman was tied up and stuffed in the guy's car trunk begging him to let her go, and he just laughed.

Thankfully Mitch tested negative this morning, as did I once again. Now we are free to rejoin society until it comes back. I hope it doesn't, and I also hope that I don't get abducted. I am never going to a bakery ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...