Wednesday, February 9, 2022

The Need to Be Normal


I've recently begun posting some of my art on a Facebook page called Maine Artists. It's fun seeing the work of thousands of other artists posting their work on the same page. Naturally, any member of the group is able to "like" any image and also post comments.

It's there that I found with absolute certainty that my art is not "normal." While my images may get 17 likes, others might get 625 or 875. Those are usually very realistic depictions of the typical Maine landscape: Crashing surf, rocks, clouds. Lighthouses. Or boats -- for some reason rowboats -- in a harbor, nestled against a dock. Or pine trees and lobster shacks. 

While I have painted quite a few water scenes myself, most of my subject matter arises from inside my head instead of from outside in nature. This lack of what is generally expected and appreciated in a Maine painting causes me to be not very successful at selling my art. Still, I have a good time making it. And when someone does buy a piece, I'm happy to have found a kindred spirit.

Undeniably, being normal pays better. And not just in art, but in almost every endeavor outside of the entertainment industry. So all day we toe the line, dress appropriately, speak in low tones and never make waves, then come home at night and turn on the TV to watch all those daring celebrities who get paid to color outside the lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...