Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Arrest Me Red

My red car and Mitch's black car. Guess who got arrested?

I got a new car three days ago. It's bright red, a color which several people have jokingly called "Arrest Me Red," since it is bound to catch the eye of one of those sneaky cops hiding in the trees along the highway hoping to snag a speeder. But I don't speed and I have never been arrested, unless you count the time when I was crossing Dupont Circle in Washington, D.C. and was swept up in an anti-war protest and got carted off to RFK Stadium with a few dozen other hippies, even though I was on my way to work. But I digress.

Last night my husband, who drives a black car, was arrested. And it was pitch dark at the time, proving that the color of your car has very little to do with anything. Mitch failed to stop at a STOP sign in our sleepy little neighborhood, mostly because we live in a rural area and he was hungry and hurrying home to a roast chicken and there was nobody else on the road. What there was, however, was one of those sneaky cops parked unobtrusively, lights off, just waiting for a scofflaw, and he pulled him over lickety-split.

Turned out Mitch had an outstanding warrant for his arrest! A few months back he was stopped when a cop spotted his expired registration sticker, and instead of a ticket he was given a court date for early November since the expiration was five months old. Sadly, he forgot to note it on his calendar and thus missed his day in court, which went on his record, which the cop found last night when he stopped him for going through the STOP sign.

So Mitch was immediately arrested by this cop, handcuffs and all, and stuffed in the back of the police car and carted off to jail. (He told me later he considered saying, "I can't breathe" because the back of the cop car was so tiny and cramped but decided against it.)

Once at the Big House he used his one phone call to ask me to bring the bail money, yes bail money, which I did not have on hand, so I drove to the nearest ATM in my bright red car and got $160 and took it to the police station where Mitch was handcuffed to a bench (See photo). Meanwhile my chicken in the oven was getting overcooked, which really annoyed me, but more about that later. 

We were told we had to wait for the Bail Guy, whatever that means, who lived half an hour away and was taking his own sweet time, likely eating his dinner when the call came. And who could blame him, after all it was dinnertime. 

I was not permitted any conjugal visits and instead was stuck in a dim waiting room outfitted with several candy machines, the kind where you put in a quarter and turn the handle and a few measly pieces come out. I had two quarters and so after much deliberation chose Reese's Pieces and Jelly Bellies. 

Finally they released Mitch and we drove home in my very red car to my somewhat overdone chicken, which actually was quite tasty although a tad dry. Mitch has a new court date for sometime in February for his original infraction. Nobody mentioned his going through the STOP sign.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...