Monday, December 21, 2020

Covid Christmas Letter

Dear Friends and Loyal Readers:

I would be remiss to not write my annual Christmas letter simply because we are experiencing a global pandemic. Today I got one of those from a friend who in past years shared details about her international travels but this year took several paragraphs to recount what shows she and her husband have been watching on Netflix. That and all their surgeries.

Speaking of Netflix, we recently installed a huge new "smart" TV in our living room just to make it official that we are never going out to the movies ever again. We're considering building a concession stand where the fireplace is and stocking it with Raisinets, Sno-Caps and Twizzlers, and maybe going the extra mile and getting a popcorn machine. You know, for the aroma.

While this isn't exactly news, I will say that I have several face masks I like to wear. I'm no Nancy Pelosi but I do have a few besides the standard blue paper kind you see everywhere. My favorite is a pink and white striped cotton one made by my dear friend, Jay. It fits great and doesn't cause my glasses to fog up. Another one is navy with white stars that I got at Ace Hardware for $6.oo. That's a lot to spend on a face mask but it's washable and likely will last the entire pandemic, unless that vaccine doesn't work and then all bets are off.

Naturally we have not gone anywhere outside of Maine, so there's nothing to report in the travel department. We did watch a great documentary about America's national parks the other night, and it reminded us of so many places we visited when life was actually fun. There was Bryce Canyon and Yellowstone and Arches and Zion and the Grand Tetons. Those were the days, weren't they?

If the virus had not arrived I could tell you about our two-week trip to Israel last April with our dear friends Teresa and Jim, but of course it did so I can't. On the other hand we've had some fun Zoom dates with friends in D.C., New York and Charlottesville, so it's not like we haven't thought about other places.

Mitch finally got his dental implants and I finally got done wearing Invisalign braces, so that's something.

My new favorite drink is a White Russian, but with only half a shot of vodka, otherwise I get too drunk. I have one almost every evening before dinner and I find although it's delicious, it hasn't helped much in the depression department. All I can say is "Thank God for Lorazepam!" 

We put up Christmas lights on a few trees in our yard since it gets dark at 4 pm here in Maine. What with the frigid temperatures and the snow and ice, things can get bleak.

Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...