Thursday, May 14, 2020

Watch Out, Here I Come


I stayed home all day yesterday and allegedly saved quite a few lives by doing so. (You're welcome.) Today's a different story: I'm going out to get some haddock for dinner.

Hopefully my bold foray into the world won't end up killing someone, and if it does I am truly sorry. Really, I don't even kill ants. Still, this particular fish market -- Day's on Route 1 just south of Freeport, in case you're ever allowed back in to Maine -- definitely has the best fish around, and so fresh! I'm going for it, deadly as my errand may be. (It's only two miles from my house; how many people could I kill? I have a friend who is flying from Colorado to Florida this week, that's like mass murder.)

Admit it: whoever is marketing Covid-19, The Disease needs some help. Their slogan is, "Stay Home, Save Lives." Really? How believable is that? And why this particular disease so much more than others before it that I never gave a hoot about? In August of 1969 I attended the Woodstock music festival without a care in the world except how soon could I get out of there. Meanwhile, the Hong Kong flu of 1968-69 had killed an estimated one million people all over the world. My parents never said a word to me about the flu, all they said was, "Don't smoke any of that marijuana!"

There was AIDS, and SARS, and a few others. In fact, many terrible diseases have surfaced during my lifetime but I was never forced to stay at home lest I kill people. That's harsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Are What You Eat

Here in Maine, it's fiddlehead season. Fiddleheads are baby ferns. If left undisturbed they would become adult ferns, like the ones you ...