Sunday, May 3, 2020

Film Review: PARASITE

The title says it all. The makers of Parasite, winner of last year's coveted Oscar for Best Picture, including Bong Joon Ho who won an Academy Award for Best Director, are all parasites feeding off the stupidity of film critics and the Hollywood establishment who vote for these awards. Seeking to go on record as oh-so-sophisticated and open-minded, they deemed this preposterous, violent, garbled mess to be worthy of incredible respect, wetting themselves over awarding the first foreign-language film with their highest honor. Well guess what: it's unwatchable, unless you are a quadriplegic, the remote is out of reach and you've already seen every other movie ever made.


Covidly stuck at home for like the last million days, my husband and I checked it out recently, assuming since it won BEST PICTURE, beating out Once Upon a Time in Hollywood which I saw three times, it had to be great. But no -- it was actually the worst picture if you ask me and since you're reading my review I guess you did. In fact it was so bad I couldn't make it all the way through, and being able to move about freely I left the room when things got too bloody, awful, depressing and unbelievable.

Watching Parasite is like having a job since it's the opposite of pleasure. We are asked to swallow the silly notion that an impoverished family (Mom, Dad and two kids) living in a below-ground, bug-infested hovel, all of whom are too inept to get a decent job and thus earn their keep as pizza-box folders, a skill at which they are not very good, successfully hoodwink a super-smart, crazy rich couple into hiring them as tutor, art therapist, chauffeur and cook, with no questions asked. Chaos ensues, similar to an episode of I Love Lucy (that never happened) wherein the Mertzes take a bunch of LSD and murder the Ricardos.

The fact that the film is shot in Korean with English titles adds to the work necessary. On the up side, much of the action takes place inside a very beautiful house which is especially nice to look at (see photo), so if you're considering renovating, you'll get some great ideas. (Or else just pick up a copy of Architectural Digest -- it's much less upsetting.)

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Your so funny! I was eager to see this, but now I'm not. Thank you LOL (yeah I'll still watch it, I suppose) I like subtitled movies but my partner doesn't so I'll have to watch it late in the evening when it will be even more disturbing.

    ReplyDelete

You Are What You Eat

Here in Maine, it's fiddlehead season. Fiddleheads are baby ferns. If left undisturbed they would become adult ferns, like the ones you ...