Monday, May 14, 2018

A Strange But True Rock Story

First thing this morning I saw this headline from The Washington Post: "The Royal Wedding Is Almost Upon Us. Here's What to Expect." Instantly I was flooded with thoughts, the first being how happy I am not to live in D.C. anymore and the second being, Hey, I never got my invitation! So since I'm not going, it matters not a bit to me that Prince Whichever and his intended, that star from TV's Scandal, have found true love and will tie the knot somewhere across the pond. That's a load off, and frees me to talk about things that really matter.

A few weeks ago I was digging in my garden and unearthed a rock that looks exactly like a potato. A Russet baking potato, to be precise. It's uncanny. I swear if I plopped it down on a plate and served it to a dinner guest they would try to apply butter and possibly sour cream, it's that convincing. I was quite taken with it and went off in search of some praise from family members, who just looked, shrugged and moved on. I even posted a photo of it on my Instagram page and got zero likes. Figuring it to be just another example of how out of step I am with the world, I took my potato rock and sulked off.


But then this morning an article on the first page of the Wall Street Journal reports about the rage in China over rocks that look like meat! And this is no passing fad; apparently China's appreciation of meat rocks is centuries old. They are collector's items, with hundreds of people out hunting for them, There are meat rock exhibitions, and auctions, and the whole nine yards -- all having to do with rocks that look like meat. Stones bearing the most resemblance to meat can go for thousands of dollars.

"Everyone can appreciate meat rocks," said one collector, Yuan Ziming. He added that he likes to photograph his best specimens on plates surrounded with actual vegetables to make them look more real. But get this: Yuan also has a favorite rock that RESEMBLES A POTATO!!!! I bet he would love my baked potato rock, and might even pay handsomely for it! Once again I have proof that not only was I born in the wrong century, but I'm living in the wrong country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where is Your Focus?

By now, most functioning adults should have realized two things: Joe Biden is a demented fool who is not really making any decisions for our...