Monday, September 5, 2011

Hair Gets Old Too


It's hard for me to forget I'm aging since Hillary Clinton is exactly my age---okay, so she's younger, but only by months. Anyway, lately she looks really old. Every time I see her on the news, I wonder to myself, do I look that old? Add to that my 23-year-old son, who just left after a short visit, saying,  "No offense but you're old," daily for the past week, usually as the prologue to an explanation of why whatever I just said had absolutely no merit. This was troubling, since I'd rather my ideas have no merit because I'm clueless or ignorant or just plain stupid.

He's right, of course: I really do go to bed by eleven and I really don't want to go out clubbing and I really do prefer my generation's music to all others, except for Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin who I always have time for. Not only that, but I've been known to take a stool softener--sue me. Besides, the worst thing you can do is try to fake it. Be your age, dammit! It's embarrassing when I see my peers clinging to their lost youth. I want to run up to them and shout, "It's not working!" For example, lately Hillary has been letting her hair grow long. If it's a ploy to hide the scars of an impending face lift, all is forgiven and I envy her courage, otherwise she should just take a good look in the mirror and see that her flowing blond locks just don't cut it....no pun intended.

Yesterday I had most of my hair buzzed off. Now, instead of matronly and dowdy I look trendy and maybe a tad gay. Either one is better than grasping.

2 comments:

  1. Every time I have a witness at a depo who is asked their age, before they answer I play the "older or younger than me game," and I'm amazed when they say they were born the same year or after, cuz they look soooo much older than me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deneb says: who cares how old someone is? She should do something about the eye bags maybe.

    and the ruffles are wrong. and too much jewelry.

    I want to see the haircut....send me a photo.

    ReplyDelete

I Believe In Yesterday

This morning I spent some time reading my old blog posts. Much to my amazement, they were much funnier than the ones I have been writing rec...