Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Finding Purpose

We can all agree that God gave each of us many good things, starting with a body including a head, arms, legs and lots of complex internal organs to make the whole thing work. He just forgot one major thing: A Purpose. Personally I think God blew it with this one omission, and it's possibly the reason why so many people have rejected Him.

Sometimes it's good to hold your breath.
Because they lack Purpose, people do a wide variety of strange things with the limited hours of their allotted lifetimes. I recently learned of perhaps the strangest thing watching a documentary called The Deepest Breath, about the "extreme sport" of freediving, wherein people aim to achieve the longest time underwater while holding their breath. It is also called "competitive apnea." Some competitors start training for this in childhood! They dive down very deep into the ocean, or else lie face down in a pool, and swim without getting any more air than they took with them. Apparently this makes them very relaxed, free of anxiety and happy. I found that odd, since it made me really nervous just watching it. 

I can't say I've come up with anything better. I buy tubes of paint, then with a little brush I arrange different colors on a piece of canvas in a way that pleases me and call it a painting. On other days I might glue torn pieces of paper onto a table, or hundreds of colorful beads onto a drab object, all in the name of "art." Not a whole lot more sensible, I guess, but still I do it. A lot

So far today I've gone to the eye doctor and learned that my eyes are fine, then ran a few errands, had lunch with a friend, and came home and made a big pot of vegetable soup. There might be more I should be doing and certainly could be doing, but holding my breath underwater for as long as possible surely isn't one of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...