Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Hell Is All Around Us

I know, I know -- people are being held hostage in tunnels and entire families have been wiped out and the ravages of war are way beyond horrible, and I'm not in it so I should be grateful and nothing should bother me. I know all that and I agree but still, there are the little things. And sometimes little things can be big enough to bum you out...

For example, today I went to the market to buy fish. A pound of haddock to be exact. There was the fish in the glass case, all nicely laid out on ice as usual. But today there was something new: pre-made packages of fish in plastic containers in a separate area of the refrigerated section, next to a sign that said "Grab 'n' Go!" I asked the fish guy what the difference was between buying the pre-packaged fish and having him slice and weigh the fish right in front of me.

Fish Guy: No difference! I made up those packages myself a few hours ago, it's just as fresh.

Me: So, no difference at all?

Fish Guy: None whatsoever, except for the convenience.

I opted for the plastic package and went on my way. When I got home I found out the difference: all my groceries were wet and smelled like fish. That plastic package did not have a tight seal, apparently. After washing everything I'd bought and mopping up the fish liquid that had leaked through the fabric shopping bag and onto the carpeted floor of the trunk of my car, I called the store to complain-slash-alert them to the problem. I was put on hold, where I remained until I got hung up on.

So yeah, war is Hell. But sometimes other things are too.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...