Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Ax Me A Question

I'm pretty sure that by now most people are aware that many black people are prone to saying "ax" instead of "ask." I have never understood this verbal tic and have chalked it up to churlishness on their part, like creating names that are vastly different from traditional names. In my younger years I had black friends named Mike, Margaret, Floyd, Anne and Charles. Today they would likely be named La'Twanda, Mos, Tan'isha, Mo-Kamby and Jonsheeka. I've often wondered why.

Well, here's a hint. Today's Wall Street Journal contains an excerpt from "Against Copyediting" by Helen Betya Rubinstein writing at Literary Hub on January 26, which states the following: "It's clear that copyediting as it's practiced is a white supremacist project, not only for the particular linguistic forms it favors and upholds, which belong to the cultures of whiteness and power, but for how it excludes or erases the voices and styles of those who don't or won't perform this culture."

Hey, I aint no white supremacist so starting now my words will fly high. from now on anything goes, and if you ax me a question I might or might not answer in a way you can understand, you read? Shit's goin down, baby, so get off my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback Thursday: Donald Trump Is Child's Play

While the Democrats are all hot and bothered over a one-night stand between Donald Trump and Stormy Daniels, threatening to imprison him fo...