Monday, November 28, 2022

The Other N-Word


This morning, as I do most mornings, I was playing Words With Friends and made the word "noose" on a triple. I was quite pleased as it was near the end of the game and this would give me a solid 18 points and put me well in the lead. But it was rejected by the game as "not a valid word." I was confused and so looked it up in the standard dictionary and learned it was just what I thought it was, a knot at the end of a rope. But this is now a forbidden word.

Oddly enough, the word "sheeny" is perfectly acceptable on Words With Friends, despite its meaning as a derogatory slur for a Jewish person. Oh yes, it also means "having a sheen, shiny," just like noose means a knot.

I'm surprised we can all still say "black." Probably not for long....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...