Tuesday, November 22, 2022

How Old Is Over?


Helen Mirren is 77.
I have never forgotten the words of a fat comedienne I saw perform stand-up several years ago at an open-mic night in the next town over. Talking about her grandmother who had just turned 90, she laughingly said, "She still has a goal weight. I mean really, why? Who's looking at her?" The audience of mostly young people howled.

I thought of her because I just went to mail some letters at our little post office and there was a bowl of leftover Halloween candy in the lobby and I took two Reese's and ate them on the way home, and as the saying goes, "Not sorry." Only now I am sorry, and feel like it was stupid and unhealthy, and besides I do have a goal weight even though I am 76. And maybe nobody is looking except my husband who always tells me he loves my body the way it is, but I am looking and I don't like it. 

That 90-year-old granny was likely keeping trim for herself and nobody else, and that's why she reached the age of 90 by the way. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that her very obese 35-ish granddaughter is already dead. (I didn't say I'd like it or that I hoped so, just that I wouldn't be surprised.)

Is there an age when we are supposed to give up on ourselves and not try to look our best, feel our best, and be our best? What is that age? I guess I'm not there yet. The stunning actress Helen Mirren hasn't gotten there yet either, and she's even older than I am! (See photo.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...