Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Halloween Report

What is there to say?
Back when our son was little, Halloween was a big deal. But now that he's grown, and we live on a semi-rural dead end street with few kids, it's more of a pain in the neck than anything else. Nobody comes, but somebody might. Still, trying to get into the spirit, the day before Halloween my husband and I carved two big pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns, mostly for the seeds which we then rinsed and roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper. We stuck candles into the pumpkins and put them outside and took pictures.

The following day, on Halloween, there was a knock at the door at about six in the evening. On my front steps stood two girls, one about 14 and the other maybe 12. Their supposed "costumes" were simple black robes, worn open over jeans and t-shirts, and horn-rimmed glasses minus the glass. What were they? Maybe Supreme Court justices? There was no way to know, but I was not impressed. 

Anyway, the two of them stood there staring at me, silently. I remained silent as well, waiting for those three magic words that would make me produce some candy. But nothing.

I remained silent. They remained silent. Finally, after almost a minute, I shrugged and said, "Well?" The older girl rolled her eyes and muttered a barely audible "trick or treat" with obvious disdain. I repaid her effort with a tiny Reese's peanut cup for each of them.

Thankfully I had no more interruptions last night. But I did wonder what had caused this lackluster performance in those girls. What is Halloween these days anyway? Maybe it's time for it to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joe Ain't Kidding: He Wants the Black Vote

These days, and I do mean these days, Joe is running after the black vote with a vengeance. After a lifetime of making racist statements, la...