Wednesday, August 3, 2022

No Cure for Grief

I guess I don't have that kind.

I have hands-on proof that ingesting any sort of food or drink does not alleviate the symptoms of grief when you are mourning the loss of a loved one, but certain drugs do. In the last four days since I learned of the death of my closest friend I have swallowed the following alcoholic beverages, to no avail: Whiskey Sour, White Russian, red wine and beer. I have tried them one at a time, so maybe if I made a concoction of all of them in a big glass I might get some better results.

Smoking a bit of marijuana and taking a small amount of lorazepam seems to help, although there's just so much of that you can do before you conk out. Plus you feel weird.

Cookies do nothing but make your stomach bloated, only adding to your misery. Ditto pasta, fried shrimp, crackers and cheese, popcorn, ice cream  and basically all foods.

I guess, like Teri Garr cried to Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie, "I just have to feel this way until I don't feel this way anymore!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sundays Are Hard

It's Sunday, so the New York Times is in the house. Even though we buy it primarily for the crossword puzzle in the magazine section, s...