Tuesday, August 30, 2022

A Tale Told By An Idiot

What I did today.

I hear from so many people,"What should I do with my life?" Every once in awhile I wonder the same thing, although to be honest, not that often. I don't think it much matters, as long as you do no harm and even help other people when you can. But beyond that, how you spend your time matters about as much as how a blade of grass spends its time.

Today, to compensate for yesterday when I did nothing but workout at the gym for an hour and then have my teeth cleaned, which was really not me doing anything but my hygienist doing something to me, I decided to DO THINGS. So far I have made applesauce and baked a dozen blueberry muffins. Later I will make some tomato sauce. This is because we had tons of apples, blueberries and tomatoes hanging around not getting any younger, just like me.

What I do mostly is paint pictures. If I were to become wildly successful like Van Gogh, Vermeer or Picasso, that might make my painting a valid activity. I could earn lots of money and give it to charity, which would be a good thing. But aside from money, being a famous painter is meaningless and fleeting. When was the last time you heard anyone discussing Vermeer, Picasso or Van Gogh? Not likely ever. More likely it was Taylor Swift, J. Lo or Donald Trump.

So what should you do with your life? Try to enjoy it while you've got it is the only advice I have. You can pay a shrink good money to get more, but trust me, it will boil down to the same thing. As Shakespeare famously wrote, in the end it signifies nothing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sundays Are Hard

It's Sunday, so the New York Times is in the house. Even though we buy it primarily for the crossword puzzle in the magazine section, s...