Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Thin-skinned Mainers vs. Nasty New Yorkers


Why is it so important to so many people to be "right"? What is gained by winning an argument, especially a petty one concerning nothing important?

An article in The New York Post by Cindy Adams, a 92-year-old gossip columnist who never even graduated high school and who has lived her life as a holier-than-thou New Yorker believing she knows everything, has sparked the usual online vitriol among offended Mainers on Facebook. In it, Adams harshly excoriates the state of Maine after a recent visit here. She criticizes the natives for almost everything, from lacking a sense of fashion to being fat, unfriendly and boring.

Here's what I think: Cindy is 92 and as the saying goes, correctly, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Fine Cindy. Stay in New York. Get all dressed up for no reason. Waste money in fancy restaurants if that's your thing. What do I care? 

As a native New Yorker who has lived in Maine for the last 13 years, I feel my opinion has more merit than Cindy's, and I did graduate high school and even college. But it's my opinion and matters not a whit to anyone, and shouldn't. All I have to say is that here in Maine, nobody can push me in front of an oncoming subway because there is no subway. And that's a good thing. I'm staying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...