Thursday, June 3, 2021

Reading the Bible Beats Facebook

Where do you turn when reading The Holy Bible bores you? That's the question I am grappling with right now. Having never read it before, much to my husband's ongoing chagrin, I decided to hunker down with THE BOOK and see what all the fuss is about. An hour each morning instead of scrolling Facebook should improve my mood, at the very least.

So far I am deep into the first chapter called Genesis, which is all about how we got here. God made everything and then took a day off. Adam and Eve and the apple, the talking serpent, which honestly I find hard to believe. Anyway, I've heard all that before. Noah and the flood: saw the movie. Cain and Abel, ''I am not my brother's keeper," also old news. Then it's who begat who, as if I care that Jessup begat Shem who begat Twillah who begat Munch who begat two sons, Medill and Halem, who then begat Chorem and Bedillah, who bore Avila and Kanchev, not to mention Lamech, Ham, Kushra, Nizram and Phut, etc., etc., etc. 

What I have learned so far is that they had some crazy names back then. Also, scads of people lived to be 250 or 700 years old, while others kicked the bucket at 27 or 35. Why? Was it their diet? Exercise? There is no explanation, which is disappointing. 

It's rough going, nevertheless I will continue with my daily studies until I get to the part where God spouts words of wisdom, because I sure could use some divine inspiration. Otherwise I might switch to Virginia Woolf's To The Lighthouse, another book I've never read (despite several attempts) and keep hearing is fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...