Friday, March 5, 2021

Life on the Plantation

A plantation of basketball players.

A basketball coach at Creighton University was suspended indefinitely for saying the word "plantation." The school is currently considering further punishment. Apparently the word causes "undue pain" to black people, and since many if not most basketball players are black, well, that's a whole lotta pain. I wonder, did any of them have to go to the ER or was it strictly emotional pain caused by not knowing what a plantation is and being embarrassed to admit it?

Brace yourself. Here's what coach Greg McDermott said after his team suffered a loss that brought them to below 14th place in their league, which is where they were before the game: 

"Guys, we got to stick together. We need both feet in. I need everybody to stay on the plantation. I can’t have anybody leave the plantation.”

I can just imagine the chaos in the locker room after that statement:

Player #1: What's a plantation?

Player # 2: I think it's like a banana, only smaller.

Player # 3: No, that's a plantain. It's something like an Indian reservation for black people.

Player # 4: Hey man, you can't say Indians anymore! It's Native Americans.

Player # 3: No shit! Please don't report me.

Player # 4: Sorry nigga, but I'm gonna have to turn you in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...