Monday, March 22, 2021

$elling $adness

snuff film, or snuff movie, is "a movie in a purported genre of movies in which a person is actually murdered or commits suicide. It may or may not be made for financial gain, but is supposedly 'circulated amongst a jaded few for the purpose of entertainment'. ---Wikipedia

A reader responds....

Having completed the Sunday crossword in record time, I held my nose and turned the pages of yesterday's New York Times magazine to see if there were anything else of value therein. Turned out very little, unless you count a recipe for a peanut butter wafer cake I will not bake but the accompanying photo was pretty. A quick glance at the letters to the editor, a weekly declaration of love to the Times from its adoring subscribers, contained the usual shouts of glee. Several dealt with a past article I was glad I hadn't seen. Some phrases from a few of the letters follow:

"I was emotionally thrown by the cover photo...."

"This was heartbreaking."

"Perhaps people do not know someone who has had to watch a family member die on their smartphone. They should look at these images."

"The photograph of a man in his hospital room after his ventilator was shut off, his bereaved family watching, was poignant."

"The despair in the picture of a woman saying goodbye to her husband made me cry for hours."

"A story to break your heart."

Hey, I'm sad enough about all the horrors of the world, I certainly don't need some greedy newspaper publisher making me feel worse. To what end? I'm pretty sure that most of us have just about all the sadness we can handle; seeing more is hardly beneficial. Just donate to charities that help people in dire straits. You will actually accomplish something and make yourself feel good at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...