Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Nancy in Wonderland

I have long suspected that our elected leaders are a bunch of oversized egos whose delusions of grandeur led them to seek public office. All too often they seem out of touch with reality, like Connecticut's Senator Richard Blumenthal who has frequently cited his tour of duty in Vietnam despite his never being there. (I could go on, but you already know.) Another perfect example is Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, the 80-year-old glamour girl who owns a vineyard and lives in a mansion with her super-rich husband. She may be the Champion of the Poor, but she's not too good at hiding her riches.

Last week Nancy did a TV interview from her San Francisco home. All we could see in the close-in shot was Nancy's stretched-tight face, sparkly earrings and bright white dentures. Behind her was a stainless steel refrigerator. What an odd spot to choose for an interview, I thought, until I realized that every other part of the house was probably so palatial it would make viewers angry, not to mention nauseous.

Nearing the end of the interview, Nancy let us in on her little secret: What gets her through the horror of the pandemic is chocolate and ice cream. "I don't know what I would do without it," she gushed, turning around to open the freezer and display its contents. Inside were a couple dozen quarts of ice cream in an array of colorful tubs, all sporting the name jeni's. Turns out jeni's costs $12 per pint.

Today I spoke with a friend who has been out of work for the last six weeks due to the nationwide shutdown of most businesses. She told me she's down to her last hundred bucks until her disability check from the government arrives. I told her things weren't so bad: after all, she could still afford eight pints of jeni's.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Spoiler Alert: Not For the Faint of Heart

I recently saw a disturbing video posted online that has stuck in my brain, like a song you hear that you can't stop playing over and ov...