Monday, March 23, 2020

Funny or Die

It is 3:45 in the afternoon and I just cracked open a bottle of wine. This is unusual for me, but hey,  today is an unusual day. First off, I was given the finger twice while driving in the last half hour, and who knows why since I had done nothing wrong, at least not that I could discern. Actually, to be completely honest in the first case, when all I did was turn into a store parking lot, I got TWO FINGERS from the guy who was pissed off, one on each uplifted hand.

Shaken, I returned home to find an email from an editor who published an essay I wrote saying she had received angry comments from readers claiming I was insensitive to the current pandemic just because I used a little gallows humor when I said that if I got the virus now rather than in a few weeks I could score a respirator at the hospital. Oh please, lighten up people! There are always jokes in hard times; that's how we make it through.

I can still remember when I heard the Space Shuttle Challenger had blown up on January 28, 1986.  I was driving home from work for lunch when I heard the horrific news on my car radio shortly before noon. By the time I completed the fifteen minute commute, circled my block a couple of times to find parking, and walked up to my second floor apartment where my phone was ringing, somebody had already thought up a joke about the disaster which the caller told me. (What does NASA stand for? Need Another Seven Astronauts.) So please, give me a break for saying what I said about the respirators. FYI, it's true.

2 comments:

  1. It is worth noting that shock jock Howard Stern made his career by calling Air Florida the morning after one of their planes had crashed into a Washington DC bridge and asking “how much does it cost for a ticket from national airport to the 14th street bridge?” There were still bodies floating in the Potomac at the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I LOVE YOUR HUMOR! I wish you would post your stuff publicly, but I feel so lucky to experience it. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...