Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Film Review: ELF

Last night being Christmas Eve, my husband and I thought it appropriate to watch a holiday-themed movie. And just last week a new friend recommenced Elf, a movie we had studiously avoided back when it was released in 2003 for so many reasons, not the least of which was its star, Will Ferrell. But this particular friend said it was "hysterical" and seemed shocked that we, such self-acclaimed students of humor, had missed it. So we fired up the TV and settled in for some Santa-sized belly laughs.

Wrong. No laughs -- just smirks, the occasional smile and a few embarrassed giggles were all we got. Despite the assembled talents of actors Bob Newhart, Ed Asner, James Caan, Zooey Deschanel and Mary Steenburgen, director John Favreau's effort comes off as pathetically lame fare perfectly suited to a bunch of kindergartners or perhaps a group of drunken, stoned frat boys.

First of all, the plot is ridiculous: Through a completely unbelievable mixup at the orphanage, Buddy (Ferrell) ends up being raised by Papa Elf (Newhart) at the North Pole. Okay, if you swallow that, he lives there until he is 30 when he finally is told he isn't really an elf but a moron -- I mean man. So he walks from the North Pole all the way to Manhattan to meet his birth father (Caan). He makes this journey without food or water, wearing only tights and a tunic and pointy little cloth shoes-- no gloves or boots or scarf or down parka. He is supposed to be a human, after all, so how is that possible? What, no frostbite? Or more to the point, no death by starvation?

I can't go on, it was so bad. But even worse, it was lauded by most professional critics as "uproarious" and has become an endearing, enduring Christmas classic hauled out each year for new generations to enjoy. Even Roger Ebert, my chosen god of critics (then alive), gave it a glowing review. Here, I'll let Wikipedia say it:

"Elf was released in the United States on November 7, 2003 to critical and commercial success, grossing $220 million worldwide against a $33 million budget. Ferrell’s performance as Buddy the Elf was praised by audiences and critics alike, with many calling it one of his best performances. It is often listed among the greatest Christmas films of all time."

Somehow we sat through the whole thing, lulled into a daze by the non-stop idiocy wherein a grown man in a dumb costume walks around the streets of New York City without getting carted away to the loony bin. Then this morning, Christmas Day, the only present I got was a dead mouse from my cat. So far this Christmas sucks.

1 comment:

  1. yes, the movie is stupid and yes, most people around me don't care for Will Ferrell, but for some sick sad reason, my son and me like him lol. I'm sorry about your Christmas and yes nothing for me and I blew about a grand on my family and my partners family. But on the good side, I'm reading your book and I like it a lot, it' very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

You Are What You Eat

Here in Maine, it's fiddlehead season. Fiddleheads are baby ferns. If left undisturbed they would become adult ferns, like the ones you ...