Thursday, December 5, 2019

Don't Say Anything

If I had any strength of character I would discontinue looking at Facebook since it's often  idiotic. One bad feature is allowing people to comment. If there were no comments, you could just read what people post and if you had something to say about it, you'd pick up the phone and call the person instead of adding your two cents worth, which is usually more like half a cent's worth. Of course I could probably turn off the commenting feature, but then how would I stay abreast of how dumb people are becoming? (Let's face it, that's half the fun of the whole thing.)

This morning my news feed contained a lovely photo of Monhegan Island in the snow. I appreciated it since I love Monhegan and often wonder how it looks in winter, it being a summer destination for me and my husband. The photo engendered the following comment stream:
"Beautiful photo"
"Beautiful shot"
"Beautiful"
'So pretty....'

Three beautifuls in a row! I wonder -- did the fourth person who said it was "so pretty" really want to say it was beautiful but instead used a different word to be, well, different? And did the second and third responders each think they added something of value? And in fact did the first responder have to say anything? What about that old adage, a picture is worth a thousand words? Does that imply a thousand different words or the exact same thousand words?

The funniest part of the whole thing was that the picture was just okay. Had I commented I would have said, "Nice photo." But why would I?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Crimes and Miss-Demeanors

I haven't tuned in to watch any of the trial coverage for Donald Trump's latest non-crime case, but I have heard snippets on my car ...