Friday, May 3, 2019

Sitcom Therapy

Lately to relax, and possibly prevent another heart attack, I have taken to watching reruns of Friends, a late 90s sitcom that I completely ignored in its heyday. All the episodes revolve around six young and beautiful New Yorkers who live together and get into various funny situations. I don't know any of them and their lives are purely fiction, but it's a lot better for my health than watching the news, which is full of terrifying real stuff and equally terrifying real people. Besides, the show's theme song promises, "I'll be there for you," which is a lot more comforting than anything I've ever heard from anyone on CNN or FOX.

In fact, the world news is less relevant to my life than that silly sitcom, and will remain so until or unless they start killing Jews in the streets of America, or more to the point, Freeport, Maine. I don't see that happening in my lifetime, and if Bernie Sanders wins in 2020 it's even more unlikely. Also, I count on my husband and son, both news junkies, to let me know in plenty of time if I have to start packing my things and flee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Are What You Eat

Here in Maine, it's fiddlehead season. Fiddleheads are baby ferns. If left undisturbed they would become adult ferns, like the ones you ...