Monday, October 8, 2018

Searching for Truth

You gotta wonder about a place that specializes in French fries smothered in gravy and cheese curds.
Last Friday my husband I drove to Canada for a weekend visit to Montreal. As we joined the line of cars waiting to cross the border I realized in horror that I neglected to bring my passport. With trepidation we inched forward, doubtful we would gain entry. This being our 32nd anniversary trip, I was ready to beg and/or grovel. Besides, the drive had already taken us four hours; if we had to turn around there was no telling what would happen. (Likely nothing good.)

Approaching the border guard I tried to look trustworthy and un-spylike. All my worry was for naught since the guy was happy enough with my Maine driver's license. After checking the computer to make sure we weren't on any FBI Most Wanted list, he waved us through with a cheery, "Bonjour!"

Just for the heck of it, when I returned home I searched online and learned from more than a few websites that "in order to enter Canada, a United States citizen MUST BE IN POSSESSION OF A PASSPORT BOOK, PASSPORT CARD OR VALID BIRTH CERTIFICATE," making me wonder what, if anything, one can believe these days, besides the obvious like all men are pigs, all women tell the truth and all white people are scum.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...