Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Hoping for Nothing


This time of year everyone is running around buying things. There was Black Friday followed by Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday. And every single minute of every single day leading up to Christmas. What does everyone want anyway?

All I want is to write like Don DeLillo. There is simply nobody like him. He tackles very serious subjects while making you laugh out loud. And then he says things that just pop into his mind that have nothing to do with anything and sticks it right on the page anyway. That is now my goal--to write like Don DeLillo. That, and to lose two pounds by December 31.

Should one have bigger goals? Are there bigger goals to be had? I don't see anyone achieving much of anything anywhere, certainly not in the government sector. There, all the talk is of blocking other people's goals and shutting down the whole business.

I had more concrete goals once, a long time ago. But then I met them and nothing changed, except for needing new goals. So I stopped having them. The trick is to be at peace with no goals. In fact, that is my new goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Challenge to Katie Couric

Perky though she may be, or may have been in her younger days when she was paid to be, Katie Couric is no brainiac. Calling half of America ...