Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Creativity and Colonoscopy

The endless supply of advertisements making us worry about all sorts of things leads me to believe that worrying is just about the most popular activity in America. There are ads for the usual, run-of-the-mill sources of anxiety, like erectile dysfunction, migraine headaches, the heartbreak of psoriasis, the itch of eczema, adult acne, loose dentures, rheumatoid arthritis, wetting your pants, depression, flood, car accidents, home invasions, the devaluation of the dollar, falling and not being able to get back up, finding love and being diagnosed with mesothelioma. Fortunately all of these problems have solutions you can buy, so you can relax and get back to your TV show. But the thing I worry about most is never mentioned, and that makes me think there's no cure, which is troubling.

Simply stated, my fear is running out of ideas that won't bum people out. Not only am I running low on optimistic thoughts, I'm almost completely out of previously un-thought thoughts. That's why I'm down to writing about it on my blog, instead of writing about something--because I could just not think of one other topic that isn't a total bummer. Like why are there so many more suicides among seemingly successful and wealthy people lately? And why can't they come up with a less nauseating prep for a colonoscopy? Are the two things related? And so on.

I hope by tomorrow I can think of something. And I hope they find that new colonoscopy prep soon, like in the next few weeks, because I'm having one next month and worrying about it is cramping my creativity, no pun intended. (Today I made a painting that looks, in a certain light, like my gastroenterologist, and believe me, he's not much to look at.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...