Friday, January 6, 2023

FILM REVIEW/ The Volcano: Rescue from Whakaari


The Volcano: Rescue from Whakaari
, released on Dec. 3, 2022 and directed by skilled documentarian Rory Kennedy, is surging in popularity, sliding into the number one spot of most watched movies in the U.S. with its harrowing story of the 2019 natural disaster.

If I were Joe Biden I would pretend that I had written the paragraph above, but I'm not so I will admit that it was lifted from a movie review on the Internet. It's just that it says it so succinctly I figured why bother putting it in my own words? (The rest of this is me talking.) I watched this film two nights in a row, it was that good -- and besides, I wanted my husband to see it. 

Documentaries are always incredibly interesting, even when they're bad. You always come away smarter about the subject covered, which rarely happens after sitting through the typical Hollywood blockbuster that often leaves you feeling cheated. At an hour and 40 minutes, Volcano flies by and leaves you wanting more. The story is enlightening in many ways, not the least of which is the importance of reading the small print on those release forms before undertaking any risky venture.

Stunning photography of a stunning locale -- in this case an island off the coast of New Zealand -- is bound to create a stunning final product, and that's certainly true here. Just as compelling are the intense interviews with several of the survivors who were touring the island when the volcano erupted and changed their lives forever. They share their personal horror stories in heartbreaking detail, leaving you in awe of their bravery.

Watch it on Netflix.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...