Friday, December 9, 2022

My Obscure Blog

Today some stranger tried to hurt my feelings online by calling my blog "obscure." Just to be sure I knew what that meant and it wasn't something terribly dire, I looked it up and found the definition to be, "not discovered or known about." I decided I could live with that. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that being obscure has been my goal in life. Many times I have backed off from the spotlight, mostly because glare hurts my eyes but also because being a celebrity, or "known," seems to me a fate worse than death.

I write this blog because I love to write. And since arriving in Maine 13 years ago, after ten years writing for the Washington Post and two years for the Deseret News before that, I've never found a local outlet for my talents that wasn't either totally embarrassing or paid a pittance for too much of my time for no good reason. So I write my own columns for my own pleasure, and that of a few friends who get a kick out of it.

My biggest fan died last July, cutting my circulation down by a third. But still, Mel and Ted spur me on with their daily comments or thumbs-up. (Love you guys!) And besides, after I'm gone my son might read a few of the posts and still be able to get a laugh from his dead mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...