Thursday, December 29, 2022

In and Out for 2023

Thank God it's that time of year again, when newspaper and magazine editors and anyone else with a job in publishing tells us what's "In" and what's "Out" for 2023, or else how would we know what to wear, eat, drink or read? 

The Los Angeles Daily News has come out with their "top food and nutrition trends for 2023," which I cannot wait to read so I'll know what to fix for dinner starting this Sunday. Here's a teaser: Faux meat will be very In, so stock up now on dead animal protein while you still can. And The Today Show -- who knew that's still on? -- predicts that trendies will drink less in 2023 based on some celebrities, like singer Katy Perry, opting for a Sober 2023. (Too bad about our well-stocked wine cellar.)

Not to be outdone, the editors at Amazon, that bastion of literary excellence, have announced their "Best Book of 2022." It's written by someone I never heard of, and either have you, but they say it's "bound to put a bounce in your step," so I'm guessing it's some sort of rom-com novel with a millennial heroine who finds true love while searching for life's meaning. (I'll pass and just read Edith Wharton's "Ethan Frome" and Don DeLillo's "White Noise" for the zillionth time.)

I also heard earlier today that skinny jeans are definitely very out, which pisses me off because I have several pairs, two of them relatively new and quite expensive since I bought them in the Hamptons last September. Oh well, guess I'll be out of step again. But then I'm old, which is OUT no matter what you're wearing, so I'm off the hook.

There are hair styles that must not be worn this coming year, and makeup trends to follow, and oddest of all, the Pantone Color of the Year, which, like it or not, demands to be your new paint color for whatever you are painting. This year's choice is "Viva Magenta," replacing last year's star color, "Veri Peri." (I personally like a yellow called "Wicker" by Benjamin Moore that has been discontinued.)

Obviously very Out: thinking for yourself. But then that's never really been In, has it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...