Friday, October 28, 2022

Film Review: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Javier Bardem is not fooling around.
The winner of the Oscar for Best Picture in 2007, this mess of a movie is now my "Worst Film I Have Ever Quit in the Middle Of." Yes, I know that's bad grammar, but really, my grammar is better than this movie. Directed by the esteemed Coen Brothers, who get away with murder (pun intended) more than any  other directors, it is definitely not for the faint of heart, or the intelligent or even the dim-witted.

Having refused to see it at the time of its release because I heard it was very violent, I finally gave in to my husband who wasn't afraid. And so we paid the lousy four bucks on Apple TV and, in the comfort of our own home, sat back to see what all the fuss was about, especially since my favorite film critic, the now deceased Roger Ebert, called it at the time "a miracle."

Javier Bardem, who won the Best Supporting Actor award for this role, plays a hideous psychopathic assassin who kills anyone who crosses his path. (I lost count early on.) He usually shoots them with a stun gun used for killing animals, which makes a big hole in their forehead. Josh Brolin plays a loser who is out hunting and stumbles upon a bunch of dead guys in the desert, along with a ton of drugs in a truck and a briefcase full of money. He takes the briefcase (who wouldn't) and goes home to his hovel where he lives with his wife. Fine, they are rich now! But no, he returns to the scene of the crime later that night, for a "dumb reason" -- his words, not mine-- and that's it for him.

The psycho wants the money and tracks down the dummy, eventually killing him. The end. Oh, there is also a sheriff played by Tommy Lee Jones, who adds very little to the story but shows up every so often to philosophize. He decides to retire because of all the violence he has seen, like all those dead people in the desert. He's simply too old for it now. Hence the film's title.

I hated every second of this film, even Tommy Lee who I love. The cinematography is nice. I hope I can sleep tonight.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Anatomy of A Bad Mood

The day starts out fine. There is no war going on outside my windows. We have plenty of food and water, and most especially coffee. The powe...