Monday, September 14, 2020

Smashing Pumpkins

I'm getting tired of this whole Covid thing, especially all the rules and regulations that change like the wind. Last weekend my husband and I went hiking and closely passed groups of other hikers from time to time. Less than half of them wore masks. In fact, here in Maine masks seem to be losing popularity. Often you'll see people who have one hanging off of one ear, signaling they are ready to use it if some obvious need appears. Otherwise it dangles there like a giant cloth earring.  Still, I wear one to keep other people's disgusting germs, Covid or not, from entering my system. In fact, I probably will wear one forever; why not? They also keep out bugs, and I have surely eaten my share of those little gnats when I'm out walking.

I'm also very sick of hearing about Donald Trump, white supremacy, Black Lives Matter and professional athletes taking a knee. Enough already! What we need is a brand new obsession, like maybe an asteroid heading our way that will smash into the Earth in a few months. Imagine how exciting it would be to anticipate. Suddenly there would be something that nobody could be blamed for! The news people would be at a loss as to how to report it.

In actual fact, according to NASA a large asteroid "the size of two football fields" is set to safely pass by Earth today, but nobody is talking much about it. Another one is expected to come fairly close around Election Day, again doing little damage. What I'm talking about it is one that will hit us head on and take out the whole lot of us. Now that would shut Rachel Maddow up for good.

But that's not happening today, so I shall get out there and enjoy this early fall weather and start counting how many intact pumpkins are already on people's front steps, before they get smashed by the asteroid. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Don't worry your prayers have been answered. There is a flesh eating bacteria loose in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news! Hope it keeps going north, especially to DC.

      Delete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...