Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Out of The Loop

Despite my drifting further out of The Loop every day, I still consider myself to be smart, certainly on a par with people who are in The Loop. Still, it bugs me to be considered "out of" anything.

I learned a few months ago that I was out of The Loop from my Millennial son, who is wired into it and may even be one of its founding members. I think it was when I asked him to explain what a hashtag is -- I still don't get it --  but it may have been something else since there are many things I blank on: TikTok, Quibi, QAnon, WeChat, Alibaba, Sufjan Stevens and the last two letters of LGBTQIA, to name but a few. Determined to rectify the situation, I set about catching up.

Since I've never read a Harry Potter book nor seen any of the movies, that seemed like a good starting place, especially after a savvy friend reported the movies were "great fun." And what better time than now, stuck at home during a pandemic? So the other night my husband and I fired up Netflix and settled in to watch the first one, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

After about 40 minutes I decided that at least my life was too short for such nonsense, although Mitch was up for it. (Then again, he sat through all of Hamilton.) Guessing that many other trendy things are equally inane, I will continue re-reading the old classics, watching old movies and listening to Queen and The Beach Boys with abandon, slipping even further behind everyone else but what the heck.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very picky about my fantasy fictional content and friend of mine is deep into reading that kind of thing, I just like reality as long as real peoples lives, not the crap on TV tho. PBS it's good stuff lol

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...