Monday, September 21, 2020

Doing the Right Thing

People gathered on the steps of the Supreme Court to show others how sad they feel.
These days it's very important to have the right feelings. If you don't really feel them that's fine, as long as you pretend to. For example, right now anyone seeking acceptance from their peers will be mourning the recent death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. It's just the right thing to do, and it's best to do it in front of others for maximum credit. (See photo.)

Personally, I am not mourning the loss of a woman I never met, especially since one of my close friends is reeling from a dire cancer diagnosis and another just suffered a heart attack. Also, Ruth was 87 and had cancer in one organ or another for as long as I can remember, so her death was certainly no surprise.

As for what her passing "means" to the country, I suppose many young women are worried that a new, less liberal Supreme Court appointee could impact their right to an abortion. Being past child-rearing age, this fear does not haunt me. But since I did avail myself of that service years ago, I think about how different my life would be today if abortion had been illegal back then. I'd have raised a couple more kids and maybe even have some grandchildren by now. (Not that I'm complaining.)

This past weekend I spoke with and saw quite a few friends and neighbors, and not one of them was in mourning for Ruth, or for anything. It was a beautiful weekend here in Maine and everyone seemed quite excited about the coming glories of fall. Pumpkins popped up on front steps all around town and finally the mosquitos are gone.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your friends and yes it was a good weekend except the 28 degrees I experienced Sunday morning. So yes, I making myself less liked about this issue, oh well lol

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...