Thursday, July 16, 2020

The Breakdown of Society Is All But Complete

I think I figured out why sophisticated fashion designer Kate Spade killed herself back in June of 2018. She just couldn't handle living in the totally classless society America had become. A pretty woman who was fastidious in hair, makeup and dress, Kate was committed to creating beautiful things that were affordable to the middle class. It must have been hard for her to accept the lack of personal pride on display at every turn. I'm no fashion designer, still I am nauseated daily by the low level of acceptable public attire. Heck, I check the mirror before I go out to get the paper at the end of our driveway. But then, I come from another time.

As a child growing up in the New York suburbs, and well into my teens and early twenties, it was de rigueur to dress up when you went to the theater, or took the train into Manhattan, or boarded an airplane. Dining out anywhere but a fast food restaurant required at the very least a suitable outfit and decent shoes. But these days one no longer dresses up for anything, except of course the Oscars but that's not exactly real people going about their real lives. Otherwise, the accepted "look" is whatever you damn well please, requiring a minimum of effort, and nobody raises an eyebrow. Flip-flops at the symphony! Shorts and tank tops at fine restaurants! Had my mother not been cremated, she would surely be spinning in her grave.

Yesterday I went to the CVS pharmacy to pick up a few things. While waiting for my prescription, a young woman walked up to speak with the pharmacist. (See photo.) I was stunned for two reasons: First, we were not at the beach, and there is no beach within at least ten miles, so even if she had come from the beach she had plenty of time to put on what is called a "beach coverup," an article of clothing that exists for just that purpose. Second, that someone with such a bad body was unashamed for anyone to see her sagging paunch and crinkly thunder thighs blew me away. (I keep my own covered as much as possible.)

At least she wore a mask. Thank God, because she might have been ugly too. 

2 comments:

  1. IDK, I don'tunderstand, people of Walmart is a big joke, but from some strange reason, I've yet to directly experience this and those others, yeah, I'm 59 and have always been casual in my clothing by no freaking way would I even consider doing anything like this YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great last line 🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...